Monday, December 6, 2010

Our First Visit to the ER

Its a long story so I'm mostly going to summarize.. Gunner thought it would be a good idea to sample his amoxicillan. About 13 tsp to be exact. So after a call to poison control we were told to go to the ER so they could watch him then after a few hours get a urine sample to see if there were any crystals in it. Apparently amoxicillan causes crystals to form in the urine and in turn can block the ureters and affect kidney function. So we headed in, and lets just say 3 hours of waiting in little curtained off rooms with all sorts of intersting equitment is NOT fun with a 22 month old :)
 But I will say that the nurses were really sweet with him and gave him everything he might want.. snacks, sippi, crayons, suckers.. you name it.
 But even those only last for so long and then you have to get creative :) and after that.. walk the hospital halls.
 When they finally did get the sample it looked like milk and was full of crystals so we were informed that we would be staying the night on pediatrics. They put in an IV so they could flush him out and drew his blood to check on his kidneys (which luckily for us were fine). It was so sad to see him get poked.. I won't lie, I totally cried the whole time!
 By the time we finally got settled in our room on peds it was almost midnight and considering all he'd been through I was shocked at how happy he was, and the fact that he wasn't trying to yank his IV out.

 Morning was a different story.. after going to bed late and being woken up several times after that for vitals, diaper checks, another blood draw and urine test, he was slightly groggy :)
 But after breakfast he bounced back and was ready to check everything out. He loved the playroom that they have. He found a nice car that he rode up and down the halls, he was hawlin, I was having a hard time keeping up with his IV pole :)
 But thankfully all of his morning tests came back clear so we were able to get out of there by 10:30! And he got a sweet ride to the car! And PS I have to say that I was impressed with poison control, they are very thorough. They called ahead to the ER to tell them we were coming, called the hospital later that night to check on him, called the night we got home to check again, and the next night for one final check. If you ever have questions about anything of that nature call them. Thats the first thing the ER would have done had I not called already. And PSS I just want to say thanks to my awesome family who was so quick to jump in and help with anything and everything we needed! We Love You!!!

8 comments:

walkerbunch said...

Poor little guy. Glad he's okay.

ShaRee said...

Wow what a crazy night! Glad everything worked out okay- and that you took pics to document the occasion! :) It was good to see you the other night... wish it was different circumstances, but really thanks for coming and showing your support!

Ryan and Adrienne said...

So scary. Ryan told me about this and I was glad to hear that he was okay. Those darn kids and the scary things they do to us.

Emily Wilde said...

Oh my gosh Jeana! I am so glad everything turned out okay, he is the cutest thing ever. And a brave boy I must say! =)

The Loftins said...

So glad he's okay. He's so dang cute we love him!!! And yes quite a brave boy I agree!

jg said...

Hey Jean, i keep forgetting to ask you, did you take that Family pic? You are look great!

Caldwell Family 6 said...

Still can't believe this happened. I am so happy he was just fine. I am sorry you had to go through it though, so stressful! LoR

Jobi Niu said...

Oh my goodness!! Scary. Poor lil guy. I'd be Bawling the whole time too. Sheesh. So sad.